Oriental garden decor style in landscape design is gaining popularity, as it has a special mystery and a riot of bright colors. Landscape design of the garden in the Oriental style disposes to a quiet pastime for a hearty conversation.
The style is full of bright accents and original decorative elements and is a multi-faceted direction. On the cottage, made in the oriental style, a large number of plants are planted and different materials are used.
Decorating in the oriental style is perfect for a small area with close proximity to neighboring houses. However, the site should not be in a strongly shaded area, as an abundance of sunlight is a distinctive feature of this direction.
Oriental style in landscape design – tenderness and brightness on one plot
The shape of the plot should be geometrically simple – narrow and elongated. In this article, we will briefly tell you all about this stylistic direction and demonstrate interesting ideas for the design of the garden plot.
Characteristic features of the oriental style
The garden in the oriental style is distinguished by gentle contours and smooth lines, a combination of the spreading crown of plants with refined elements of decoration, artificially created in the likeness of Japanese and Chinese styles.
On the eastern site will fit perfectly a combination of low shrubs and medium-sized trees, which are characterized by rounded shapes and the presence of near a decorative body of water. To achieve complete relaxation of body and soul, the color palette is better to choose a muted and soft.
The main material of the design in the oriental style is natural stones, which symbolize eternity. Stones should also be soft and rounded shapes.
Elements of décor of the cottage in the oriental style
Landscape design of the homestead plot must necessarily include:
- Plenty of vegetation – the predominant majority of plants behind the flowering, a lot of fruit trees and shrubs;
- Plenty of spicy herbs and gourds should be planted in the vegetable garden;
- Roofs of buildings should have a domed shape and “lancet” windows for gazebos and enclosed terraces;
- More paving, grounds of different purposes. Material for paving may be used in the form of stone and paving tiles;
- Circular swimming pools;
- Carpeted flower beds.
Features of the layout of the cottage plot in the oriental style
- The inner courtyard of the country site should be closed around the entire perimeter, that is, all functional zones are separated by green landscaping;
- On the site should be present paths that have straight lines, and platforms – round or diagonal;
- Symmetrical layout is the main advantage of the oriental style;
- Decorative water bodies should be located in the central part of the courtyard;
- If the plot is dominated by Persian motifs, a stream-aryk on the perimeter of the territory, and a stone or concrete bed should be designed as a body of water.
Varieties of Oriental style
Oriental style is divided into types:
- Japanese garden.
The Japanese style is characterized by symbolism and minimalism, influenced by the following factors:
A Japanese garden is in fact Japan in miniature. A Japanese garden is a place where you can relax, meditate, restore physical and mental strength. In addition to the classic bamboo and sakura, evergreen shrubs and trees are planted on the site. The predominant materials on the site should be water, natural stone and wood. A small pond of natural outlines, wooden bridges, lotus blossoms, the absence of central elements – this is what distinguishes the Japanese herd from other trends.
For the landscaping of the cottage plot in the Japanese style is used:
- conifers – thuja, juniper, pine, cypress, fir, spruce;
- deciduous trees – maple, alder, cryptomeria, ash Japanese;
- ornamental shrubs – spirea, rhododendron, grapes;
- fruit trees and bushes – chokeberry, cherry, quince, plum, apple-tree;
- deciduous perennials – hosta, fern, sedge, ramson;
- flowering perennials – astilbe, peony, clematis, iris, lily of the valley, lily of the valley, chrysanthemum;
- bamboo – denotes steadfastness;
A rather popular element of the Japanese garden is the rock garden. In addition to these plants, an integral part of Japanese color is bonsai, the art of growing stunted trees.
The art originated in China, but it was developed in the Land of the Rising Sun and is still associated with it. Low-growing plants of fanciful shapes or regular, but small ones were in demand by all walks of life. Nowadays, there are a large number of schools that teach various bonsai techniques.
Among the most common in landscape design are the following styles:
- tekkan – straight trunk;
- Netsunagari – part of the trunk is covered with soil, and the branches seem to be a free-standing plant;
- bunjingi – minimum number of shoots, straight or wavy trunk;
- sekijojiou – some stone is visible above the surface of the ground, which is braided by the root system;
- ishitsuki – the plant grows from cracks in the stone;
- hokidachi – a spherical crown with a short stem;
- ikadabuki – imitation of a tree trunk that has fallen into a swampy slush, from which several plants grow;
- sakei – a landscape made with details, but in miniature form;
- fukinagashi – a plant is given a shape bent under a strong gust of wind;
- netsuranari – several twisted trunks grow from one root.
In order to create a tree shape atypical of nature, various objects are used:
- a frame;
- a frame;
- a wire for fastening.
The attachment can stay on the plant for a long time, until the branches and trunk take the desired shape. it is not necessary to subject the formation of a young tree.
Bonsai are chosen based on the climatic conditions of the region. For medium latitudes, pine, larch, juniper, pear, apple and cherry trees are perfectly suitable. These plants require a lot of light and good regular watering, timely shaped mowing of new shoots to give the necessary shape and fertilization.
When planning a Japanese garden, the following should be adhered to:
- All objects in a Japanese plot should be balanced. There can be many of them. However, if you look at the landscape as a whole, you get a single composition, and each of its elements is in its place;
- Arranging a Japanese garden, the territory should be divided into areas of irregular shape, which may coincide with the functional zones, and in each area can arrange an original composition. Between areas to make smooth transitions with the help of vegetation, materials and decorative elements.
- Color palette of the site should be restrained and soft. The main colors are gray, green, brown, white. Japanese style consists of smooth transitions, halftones and the presence of several bright color accents. All the colors on the site are muted.
As small architectural forms in the Japanese style are:
- bridges, which can be decorated with a few strong boards or slightly curved railings, and framed – a few large flat stones, laid directly in the water or on the surface of the gravel;
- benches – on a Japanese site in the form of a bench can be a single stone, which must necessarily be covered with wooden overlays;
- Japanese stone lanterns;
- bamboo in the design of landscape design;
- garden screens;
- arbors – pergolas, tea houses;
- miniature well-tended vegetable garden.
Chinese garden design should be based on the principles of feng shui. The main task of the Chinese garden is the exchange of energy, so the recreation area should be located in the central part of the plot, and everything else is built around it, taking into account the location of the sides of the world.
On the Chinese plot you can build a gazebo with white walls, which will act as a contrast to the surrounding greenery. In the walls necessarily need to make apertures, which will fall into the sunlight and a light summer breeze.
For the landscaping of a Chinese garden will be suitable:
- pine, which symbolizes nobility;
- peach, popularly called the tree of happiness;
- weeping willow;
- apricot or mandarin trees.
Dwarf trees are as popular in China as they are in Japan, so it is worth paying attention that they play an important role in landscape design. Flowering compositions are created from peonies, orchids and lotus.
A characteristic difference of the Chinese style from others is a large number of stones, which symbolize eternity and permanence of the world, allowing you to decorate entire islands or build low walls.
The Moorish style came into being in hot Muslim countries, so the main element of which is water – the symbol of life. In the central part of the Moorish style, as well as in the above described, in the center of the site is a fountain, which is decorated with tiles, and around the planting of the most gorgeous bright and fragrant roses. In addition, on the Moorish sites should be present a large number of mosaics and paved pathways, which are made of tiles, concrete, gravel and pebbles. Pergolas, wrought iron elements of benches, painted oriental dishes for decoration, lighting fixtures will look great.
Moorish garden is a place to relax, so if you choose this style in the garden are installed small sofas with lots of cushions. Often in Moorish plots a lot of colors and different decorative elements.
Plants for the oriental style
Before proceeding to the design of flowerbeds and flowerbeds in the oriental style, it is necessary to study all the features of the desired plants – the requirements for soil, climatic conditions and so on. Once the choice is made, you can buy plants and start gardening.
For a riot of colors in the oriental garden will suit such plants as:
- trees – pear, plum, cherry, apricot, fig, cherry, ornamental apple trees;
- shrub plants – rose hips, Japanese quince, cocklebur, wagelas, different types and varieties of roses, hydrangeas, various spirits, wild and maiden vines, clematis, actinidia;
- perennial plants and flowers – more brightness, more winning landscape. A large number of tulips, exquisite, varietal, terry, begin to bloom in early spring. Also decorate and make the Moorish garden more original peonies, poppies, irises, chrysanthemums, asters, lilies, lilacs ordinary, maroon marquee, sweet tobacco, colored peas, guillardia, ageratum, dahlias, gludiolus, lavatera, Gypsophila. For vertical landscaping will suit decorative pumpkin “Turkish turban”, and among the flowers you can plant brightly colored vegetables – zucchinis, all varieties of patissons, peppers.
Tips of landscape designers on the design of the oriental garden
- Do not use an excessive number of decorative elements and plants, which will create chaos in the overall concept. Effectively look in the finishing of buildings white plaster with gaps, from which the natural stone is visible;
- To give the site charm can be used with carpeted flowerbeds, in which flowers are planted in a certain pattern, reminiscent of the pattern of an oriental carpet. The ornament is marked by pegs and ropes, and then the flowers are planted;
- The Oriental gardens are characterized by the presence of mirrors, both on the walls and in the beds and flower beds;
- Long benches or podiums for seating can be furnished around the edges with colored tiles or glass, as well as with mosaics.